Immunity plays a vital role in keeping us healthy. A robust immune system significantly reduces the risk of getting viral infections and flu. Our immune system acts like a defense mechanism that protects us from external invaders like viruses, bacterias, parasites, fungus, and other microorganisms. Having a healthy immune system makes you less susceptible to infections.
Today, due to pollution, we get frequently afflicted with many infections and illnesses. Our erratic and unhealthy lifestyle aggravates the problems even further. We have seen that during the flu or viral season, many people fall sick while some remain unaffected. The difference is due to their immunity. One can withstand the onslaught of viruses if they have strong resistance power.
The immune system can get bolstered with little changes in your diet and lifestyle. It will ensure that your immune system remains strong and protects you from viral infections. Below mentioned are some tips that will boost your immune system naturally.
Tips for boosting your immunity naturally
- Manage your stress level: Stress releases cortisol that hampers the functioning of the immune system. Cortisol is a hormone that disrupts the operation of a specific white blood cell known as T-cells. Cortisol also affects the secretion of antibody IgA that protects the respiratory tract and gut from harmful pathogens. To manage stress, incorporate yoga and meditation in their daily routine.
- Reduce alcohol intake: Excessive alcohol consumption can severely affect the functioning of the liver and kidneys. Studies have, however, shown that moderate consumption of alcohol can be beneficial for the overall health of an individual.
- Take multivitamins: Multivitamin deficiency may hinder the functioning of the immune system. Vitamin A, B6, C, D, and E help strengthen the immune system. Vitamin C is one of the most vital vitamins that assist in reducing any inflammation in the body. Lack of vitamin C can cause diseases like scurvy. Citrus fruits like oranges, grapes, strawberries are high in vitamin C.
- Consume more fruits and vegetables: Vegetables and fruits provide essential nutrients to the body. Consuming them every day will raise your immunity. Cauliflower, cabbage, broccoli, brussels sprout, and other similar green vegetables are known as cruciferous vegetables and are suitable for the liver. A healthy liver ensures eliminating toxins from the body and improves immunity.
- Exercise: There is scientific evidence that regular exercise boosts the immune system. Regular exercise complemented with a proper diet can improve your immunity significantly. However, heavy training can have adverse effects on the body and lower resistance.
- Get adequate sleep: Sleep is essential for the normal functioning of the body. Lack of sleep can impair your immune system by inhibiting the activity of T cells. An average person requires at least 7-8 hours of sound sleep. During sleep, our body repairs itself. Therefore, rest should be given high importance for improving immunity.
- Quit smoking: You may have heard of how detrimental smoking is to your health. Smoking not only disturbs the functioning of the immune system but also increases the probability of developing different types of cancer. Smoking is hazardous to both innate and adaptive immunity. Nevertheless, if you have been smoking for a long time, it could be difficult to quit the addiction at once. For this, you could rely on other alternatives like nicotine patches or electronic cigarettes that are less harmful.
- Get some sunlight: Sunlight is one of the vital sources of vitamin D. Deficiency of Vitamin D can lead to deterioration of our bone health. Moreover, Vitamin D is essential for maintaining our immunity and producing antibodies. Many respiratory ailments result from lack of Vitamin D. Every day, spend some time outdoors and soak in some of that sunshine for elevating your immunity.
Different types of infections and illness will always trouble you unless and until you fortify your immunity. Even medicines lose their efficacy in curing you without support from the immune system. We see aged people grappling with diseases. The reason is a weakened immune system. The best way to boost your immunity is naturally. You do not need to spend on expensive medicines and supplements for having a robust immune system. The tips mentioned above will decrease the number of toxins in the body and provide the needed nutrients required for improving your immunity. Go for regular health checkups from a medical practitioner and keep a check on the immune system through blood tests. Following these tips will enable you to live a healthy both at present and in the future.Share on Facebook