Digital marketing tools have evolved and matured at a pace that is almost difficult to understand. Such progressive development could be attributed to the growing popularity of the platform and the power it provides. In this blog, we will help you unravel the nitty-gritty of digital marketing tools while also appreciate digital marketing tools 2019.
The current trend that is running in the modern world is the ability to communicate well. Gone are the days of dull interactions and restricted access. With the ease of the Internet, we can reach out from pole to pole or west to east. The enterprising nature of a person and his ability to market are key winning strategies. This spirit is emboldened by digital marketing tools and techniques.
A historical overview of digital marketing
With the rise of digital technology arose the need for digital marketing. People realized that maintaining hard copies of customer records were cumbersome. With the aid of computers that modernized in the 1980s, companies could better maintain customer records. Accessing soft copies was quick and efficient.
Soon computer technology evolved to support more storage and more computing power. When companies digitized customer records, they began to realize that they were data-rich and information poor. Enterprises wanted ways and means to make sense of customer records while identifying their digital body language.
To add to the growing complexity was the proliferation of multi-channel devices and social media. Smartphones almost created a new revolution in the connected world. People found much delight in using their smartphones for daily affairs. A new way of staying connected mesmerized the masses with social media platforms like Facebook.
To address the various shapes and sizes of digital behavior, the concept of customer relationship management (CRM) sprung up. Entire teams were dedicated to analyze customer data and come up with solutions for customer retention or conversion. Over the years, large enterprises have risen that work on CRM solutions to address multi-channel requirements.
Current trends in digital marketing
Digital marketing has steadily gained ranks to extend beyond the call to just reach customers. We can literally put it as current trends in digital marketing are aimed towards ‘mass hypnotization.’ However, there is nothing malicious in this approach; rather, the modus operandi is smart and creative.
We can summarize the current trends in digital marketing as artificial intelligence (AI), multi-channel marketing, artificial bots, personalized content, video marketing, and scaled-up Search Engine Optimization (SEO).
Artificial Intelligence (AI): AI has often been confused with something that delivers a human-like experience. While this assumption is not entirely false, AI is a concept that tends to mimic human intelligence. AI should not be associated with a human-like machine that obeys all your orders.
AI internally uses algorithms to find ideal choices that humans would make. In some ways, choices made by machines could be more effective owing to their computing power. AI helps in providing an insight which humans would find impossible. Apart from suggestions, AI would be leveraged for all aspects to convert casual visitors to faithful customers.
Multi-channel marketing: With the widespread usage of a number of devices and an equal number of social media channels, reaching out to each of them matters. This process of universal outreach is called multi-channel marketing or omnichannel marketing. For instance, consider you may use two different strategies to build traffic, combining them is a better approach.
Artificial bots or chatbots: Chatbots have a more practical purpose than entertaining people with their witty remarks. The power of chatbots can be leveraged to coax visitors to customers, guide visitors through a website, or improve the overall experience.
Personalized content: People crave digital experiences, and one visual eye-candy may be appealing to one while bland to another. If personalized content is made available to each customer, the chances of them becoming faithful increases, this is not merely theoretical, but extensive studies have gone in.
Personalized content can be considered as an amalgamation of the ideas we previously discussed. Elements of AI and omnichannel marketing play vital roles in delivering personalized content. The idea is simple, from the customer data, try to mine information and provide an interface. As the customer transacts more periodically, it provides greater customization.
Digital marketing tools
Digital marketing tools are categorized into the services they offer. Based on this, we can enlist digital marketing tools into -
- Analytics and Data
- SEO and Blog Content
- Social Media Marketing
- Email Automation
- Visual Design
- Landing Pages
- Project Management
- Content Curation
You must note that the above group is only relative. You might come across yet another way in which digital marketing tools may be put together.
To briefly explain the categories :-
- Analytics and Data - These digital marketing tools, as the name suggests, aids in analysis, website performance, and audience demographics. Some popular tools are Google Analytics and SumoMe.
- SEO and Blog Content - These tools are helpful for search engine optimization (SEO) and optimizing blog content. Such optimization is required for the blog to rank better. Yoast and UberSuggest are worthy examples in this category.
- Social Media Marketing - These digital marketing tools are helpful in managing social media campaigns, with some of them offering a literal autopilot. Good tools are MeetEdgar and Hootsuite.
- Email Automation - Email being a powerful medium to disseminate information, email automation tools are very much in popular use. Such tools streamline the process of sending custom emails and manage the campaign. Advanced tools include ActiveCampaign and Flashyapp.
- Visual Design - Rather self-explanatory, visual design tools help in content creation necessary to engage the audience. Standard instances include Canva and Freepik.
- Landing Pages - Tools designed to make engaging landing pages needed for campaigns. LeadPages and ClickFunnels are some of them.
- Project Management - Basecamp and Asana are some tools widely used for project management requirements.
- Content Curation - Feedly and Buffer aids in effective content grouping or curation.
Digital marketing tools are, without a doubt, endowed with a potential that can change traditional strategies. Both customers and businesses are benefited from the features digital marketing has to offer. While future development may introduce more offerings, the foundation has been set. With the right attitude and approach, digital marketing tools would prove profitable.